About Sunway Medical Center
Sunway Medical Centre is an Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) accredited private hospital. Located on Jalan Lagoon Selatan, Sunway Medical Centre is two minutes’ drive from the Sunway University on one side, and the combined properties of Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, Sunway Lagoon, and Sunway Pyramid Mall on the other.
From a single building to five, Sunway Medical Centre has grown exponentially since its inception in November 1999. With the hospital’s expansion plan in 2006, the hospital has grown from its previous 22,219sq.m to span 60,803sq.m. Now, Sunway Medical Centre is poised to set a new standard of service for its growing clientele, making it one of the foremost private medical care centres in the nation with a total of 365 beds, 119 consultation suites, 12 operation theatres and a multi-storey car park with 700 parking bays.
Sunway Medical Centre is an ISO 9001:2008, MS ISO15189 and Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH) accredited private hospital. Located on Jalan Lagoon Selatan, Sunway Medical Centre is two minutes drive from the Sunway University and Monash University Sunway Campus on one side, and the combined properties of Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel, Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, and Sunway Pyramid Shopping Mall on the other. From a single building to five, Sunway Medical has grown exponentially since its inception in November 1999. Today the hospital commands a build-up area of 60,803sq.meter. Now, Sunway Medical is poised to set a new standard of service for its growing clientele, making it one of the foremost private medical care centres in the nation with a total of 350 beds, more than 100 consultation suites, 12 operation theatres and a multi-storey car park with 750 parking bays. Sunway Medical offers a comprehensive range of medical services, which includes facilities and advanced medical technologies for outpatient and inpatient specialty care, health and wellness programme, and 24-hour emergency services. These are supported by over 1,000 dedicated personnel including more than 150 medical consultants, professional allied health staff as well as trained and dedicated nursing staff. Sunway Medical Centre is affiliated to the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Monash University Sunway Campus to meet the demands of medical education, training and research
At Sunway Medical Centre’s Cancer and Radiosurgery Centre, their team of dedicated Oncology professionals ensures not only the latest innovations in cancer treatment but also offers a personalised and tailored approach for their patients, focusing on effective treatments for an enhanced quality of life.
Cycle of Care for Cancer Patients
The journey through a cancer diagnosis can be a very challenging and anxious time. Their goal is to help you through this journey with the best care you can receive and to provide you with all the support they offer.
SunMed’s Cancer and Radiosurgery Centre involves a multidisciplinary approach to the medical care of all their patients. This includes a tumour board where meetings are held regularly to review cancer cases with a multidisciplinary team present and input from various consultants from different areas of expertise.
This ensures a level of excellence and comprehensive care of their patients.
Technology in Cancer Treatment
The healthcare service is well-equipped in the battle to manage cancer. Moving away from the conventional treatment, depending on the type of cancer and the stage it is in, the current technology available in hand can treat most cancer cases.
Their Cancer and Radiosurgery Centre is made up of ;
- Outpatient Oncology Clinics and a Daycare Chemotherapy unit located at the Ground Floor and the Radiotherapy unit at the Lower Ground Floor.
- State-of-art radiotherapy services at Sunway Medical Centre include 4D treatment, stereotactic body radiation therapy and image-guided adaptive radiation therapy
- Integrated treatment plan tailored to individual’s needs and diagnosis
- First hospital to install Varian TrueBeam STx in Malaysia. The Varian TrueBeam STx system uses sophisticated 3D imaging to target and treat tumours of all shapes, sizes and locations with pinpoint accuracy
Services and Procedures
The goal of the ‘Cycle of Care’ is to give patients the best chances of a positive outcome, enhanced quality and vitality of life through early diagnosis, optimal treatment interventions, a multi-disciplinary team approach and immaculate symptom control.
- Multidisciplinary Team
- Primary Physicians / Surgeons
- Clinical Psychologist
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Radiation Therapist
- Medical Oncologist
- Clinical Oncologist
- Palliative Care Physician
- Oncology Nurse
- Medical Physicist
Approach to Cancer Care
- Oncologist – After the diagnosis of cancer by a primary consultant, the patient will be referred to an oncologist, who specialises in the treatment of cancer.
- Oncologist Investigation – The oncologist will conduct further investigations to find out more about the cancer, e.g. blood test, imaging, bone marrow, liver biopsy, colonoscopy, etc.
- Treatment Options – The oncologist will then discuss treatment options that are suitable for the patient and address any concerns the patient may have. Some of these treatments include chemotherapy, radiotherapy and supportive care. There will be pre-treatment counselling by the specialist and oncology nurse.
- Treatment – Before each treatment, there will be a consultation with the oncologist. Regular blood investigations will be carried out as treatment progresses. Imaging will be conducted after two to three cycles of treatment. The patient’s clinical issues will be discussed by a multi-disciplinary team.
- Multi-Disciplinary Plan – Cancer patients at SunMed’s Cancer Centre can be assured comprehensive review of their disease and a combined multi-disciplinary plan by the team of cancer specialists present on-site to maximise the chances of disease remission and quality of life. A typical multidisciplinary team consists of a doctor, dietitian, pharmacist, oncology nurse, rehabilitation staff, psychologist, counsellor, home nursing staff and physiotherapist.
- SunMed’s Cancer Centre includes a tumour board where meetings are held to review cancer patients from a unique, multi-disciplinary perspective. This brings together different consultants from surgery, medical and radiation oncology to review the patient’s diagnosis and for the best outcome management. Tumour boards are a necessary pre-requisite to ensure excellence in cancer care and allow for optimal multi-disciplinary cooperation.
Post Treatment and Follow-up – After treatment is completed, regular follow-ups with the consultant, together with blood tests and imaging will be scheduled for the patient.